Small Satellite Green Chemical Propulsion System "EPSS"Small Satellite & CubeSat Propulsion Systems
Green Chemical Propulsion System “EPSS”
NanoAvionics has developed TRL-7 (Technology Readiness Level) level prototype of a miniaturized, high performance, environmentally-friendly propulsion system. This system is fueled by an ADN-based mono-propellant which has up to a 6% higher specific impulse and 24% higher energy density as compared to the hydrazine employed systems, permitting significant levels of thrust to be stored within a relatively small storage volume. An ADN-based propellant is “green” and its usage contributes to ESA’s and NASA’s clean space initiatives.
The upcoming product will be scalable according to the client mission requirements, and will be compatible with the CubeSat standard also suitable for satellites below 150 kg. It will be the first complete, harmonized, plug and play propulsion system for small satellites available in the market.
- orbital missions such as high quality Earth Observation
- high frequency and high data throughput communication
- accurate weather forecasting
- constellation deployment and formation flights
- drag compensation and orbit maintenance
- interplanetary missions and many other new small satellite applications
Prototype components such as valves, fuel tanks and the propellant management system were designed and manufactured solely in Europe. A novel cost effective Platinum based catalyst system was invented in Lithuania.
The developed prototype will be tested during the upcoming LituanicaSAT-2 satellite mission providing required technical information in order to reach final TRL levels and fully develop a commercial product.
- Propellant: ADN Blend
- Nominal Thrust: 0,3 N
- Isp Vacuum (500 – 3000 ms @ 25 mBar / steady state): 112 – 150 s / 220 s
- Min Impulse Bit Thruster: 0.001 Ns
- Min Opening Time Control Valve: 3 ms
- Pulses: 10 000
- Propellant Throughput: 2 kg
- Longest Continuous Firing: 60 s
- Accumulated Firing Time: 3,5 hours
- Inlet pressure min – max / nom: 6 – 25 / 10 Bar
- Hot Ramp Up / Tail Off: < 50 ms / < 100 ms
- Injector Temperature Range (Thermal Controlled): +60 °C .. +85 °C
- Chamber Temperature: < 1600 °C
- Preheat Temperature / Time: 220-300 °C / 18-30 min
- Power Consumption (Idle / Peak / Operation): 0,05 W / 9 W / 4,5 W