Highly Integrated Fast-Response Propellant Flow Control Valve Injector (IFRV)Development Projects
NanoAvionics has been awarded a contract by the European Space Agency to develop a laboratory-proven concept prototype of a highly integrated fast-response propellant flow control valve injector (IFRV) for use with contemporary high-performance green monopropellant thrusters for small satellite applications.
The project will fulfill the following technical objectives:
- Fuel conservation – Minimization of dead volume in the propellant line and elimination of the propellant flow path between the combustion chamber and spray nozzle, through direct control of the propellant flow at the injector orifice;
- Improved control fidelity: Thruster ignition – Improvement of the thruster response time through minimization of the thrust rise (ramp up) period, by eliminating flow delay effects in the propellant line between the control valve and the spray nozzle orifice;
- Improved control fidelity: Thruster shutdown – Minimization of any valve tail-off effect, by attenuating the loss of significant propellant volume during and after the control valve shut-off phase;
- Expansion of satellite mission profiles: Enablement of a single micro thruster to fulfill performance requirements for both accurate orbital maneuvering and precise satellite attitude control.
EPSS propulsion system prototype
- Contracting Organization: Government of Lithuania through the European Space Agency
- Program: PECS (Plan for European Cooperating States)
- Project Duration: November 2017 – November 2019